LHT: Five year anniversary!

Not sure if you knew this, but just two weeks ago, LHT turned five!  To everyone who has been around since the beginning, thank you so much!  And to everyone that has started reading at any point along the way, thank YOU very much!  We really appreciate all of you!

My(Justin is me.  I’m Justin) art has changed a whole lot over the past five years.  Originally, all my comics had boxes drawn around them and usually had either a rectangle man and/or a trapezoid man.  They also were kinda sloppy, since I just started drawing lefty.  Just look at this one from January 18th, 2007.  Dang, that looks so different!

Eventually trapezoid man evolved into another rectangle man and the boxes around the comics disappeared.  Here’s a comic from November 25, 2008 that shows that stuff going on.

The next step in my drawing style change you ask?  Well, that would be when the characters started having eyebrows of course!  They wouldn’t always be there, but when they were, you knew it. The John! comics (this one from May 6th, 2010) really put those angry eyebrows to good use.

And then, things just started looking a lot cleaner from then on.  The text got more readable (I switched to a tablet), the lines got cleaner and it really started looking like the LHT that I draw today =)

And that was a quick journey through five years of my drawing style!

I guess I could do a quick summary of Drew’s drawing style changes over the years too.  Here we go.  Nothing has changed!  He has always been amazing at drawing left handed!

18 Responses to “LHT: Five year anniversary!”

1. ClouDtheStrifE says:

Happy 5th Anniversary!!! (Tipped this left handed style! Yeah baby!)

2. Megan says:

Happy fifth anniversary! I love reading your comics, they always bring some much needed ridiculousness into my days. :)

3. adora says:

Happy anniversary from a loyal reader! I started reading around the "Hug Fail" and fell in love around "Open Letter to Subway". I can't go a week without reading LHT. I must say that the drawing skill had improved so much that I can't believe it is still drawn with the left hand!
    I really enjoy the food related toons. I printed the "Soup" one and framed it in my kitchen. (A liquid that's trying too hard, indeed.)
    Keep up the good work! :D

4. Congrats! But I wonder, before the tablet, did you just use a mouse, or what?

5. MikeSoWhat says:

Happy Fiver guys. Here's to another 5 good ones!

6. Five More Years! Five More Years!

Congrats, guys.

7. Robyn says:

Hmmm, yes, Drew HAS always been irrationally good at left handed drawing. I sense a government conspiracy. Watch out, Justin!

8. Danica says:

Happy birthday LHT!

9. Aaron says:

Happy birthday, LHT! I've been stopping by practically daily since I stumbled over the site one bored day at work. Now my Fridays feel very unsettled.

10. Mark says:

Happy 5 years!

11. Been here since the launch, came from Spinnerdisc. LHT was my very first web comic, and five years later I'm still reading every update. Stay awesome, guys.

12. Jake Lindsey says:

I kind of just blew my own mind.
    "Hmm. I don't think I've been here from the start, I mean, I've been here for a while…"
    [clicks 3 years ago]
    "No. I definitely was here longer."
    [clicks 4 years ago]
    "I definitely remember seeing this one being posted."

Oh wow. I guess I have been reading since about when it started. :o
    I remember coming here from spinnerdisc. And I came to spinnerdisc from … something.

13. First of all I would like to greet you happy 5th anniversary, hoping that this 2012 is for your own success.

baby eagle

14. Guest says:

keep it going found out about this awesome site last year!

15. mole control says:

mole control…

[...]Left-Handed Toons Blog » Blog Archive » LHT: Five year anniversary![...]…

16. secretkeeper says:

Signing in for the first time to say – I've been here from the beginning and I'm so glad! Keep posting the awesomeness. :)

17. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for any other informative blog. The place else may just I get that type of
    information written in such an ideal method? I’ve a challenge that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on
    the look out for such information.
    content management